Listen to Parents Across America Webinar on High-Stakes Testing
by Parents Across America | 01/29/2013
Listen to teachers and renowned fair education advocates discuss the ramifications of high-stakes testing. Who is targeted, who benefits and why? Find out the cultural implications of high-stakes testing and what alternatives exist for fair student and teacher evaluation. Also find out how to opt your children out of non-state mandated standardized testing.
Here is the link to Parents Across America’s testing webinar, where guests included:
- Sarah Richardson, teacher at Garfield High School and part of the Seattle MAP test boycott
- Shaun Johnson, a former public school teacher, current teacher educator and online radio show co-host of At the Chalk Face who is a founder of United Opt Out National.
- Monty Neill, Executive Director of the National Center for Fair & Open Testing (FairTest). Dr. Neill authored Implementing Performance Assessments: A Guide to Classroom School and System Reform, and Testing Our Children: A Report Card on State Assessment Systems, the first comprehensive evaluation of all 50 state testing programs.
- Tim Slekar, a former public school teacher and now an associate professor of teacher education. Dr. Slekar is also co-host of At the Chalk Face and a founder of United Opt Out National.
The discussion covered:
- How high stakes testing got started.
- Methods to fairly evaluate a teacher in the classroom.
- Opting your student out of high stakes testing, why and how.
Next Post: FairTest Infographic