Ten Arrested at City Hall Protesting School Closings
CHICAGO—At 11 pm on Friday, November 2nd, 10 people were arrested at City Hall—2 active teachers, 2 retired teachers, and 6 parents & community members—in protest of the mayor's school closing policies. They were taken to the First District for processing and were released this morning.
Earlier on Friday, approximately 200 people from a variety of community organizations, and including Chicago Teachers Union members, crowded the Fifth Floor of City Hall to demand a Moratorium on school closings and charter proliferation. Mayor Emanuel’s office refused to schedule a meeting between the community groups and the Mayor, and began a sit-in, in which over 150 people participated. The sit in continued until approximately 11 pm, at which time 10 people were arrested.
THE SCHOOL CLOSING TEN
- Lillian Kass – CTU
- Carrene Beverly-Bass – CTU
- Tom Lalagos – CTU (retired)
- Jessica Havens – Teachers for Social Justice
- Jesus Campuzano - Southside Together Organizing for Power (STOP)
- Shannon Bennett - Kenwood Oakland Community Organization (KOCO)
- Adorphus McDowell - Kenwood Oakland Community Organization (KOCO)
- Jeanette Smith - Kenwood Oakland Community Organization (KOCO)
- April Stockman - Kenwood Oakland Community Organization (KOCO)
- Sandra Stone – CTU (retired)