What is Nurturing Teacher Leadership?
Nurturing Teacher Leadership, established in 1997, is a 2 year program of professional development and candidate support that prepares teachers for National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification. It includes:
“NTL boasts a 96% achievement rate.”
- CTU/CPS Bargaining Agreement annual stipend of $1,875+
- small group facilitation
- collaboration with a cohort of other CPS NBPTS candidates
- technical support
- 10-day Summer Institute
- resource materials
- 24/7 computer lab access
- renewal support
- retake support
- Assessment Center simulations
- weekly classes
When is the next NTL informational meeting?
Tuesday, November 4, 2014
4:45 p.m. - 7:45 p.m.Chicago Teachers Union, 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 400CLICK HERE to register
What is NBPTS certification?
NBPTS Certification offers teachers the opportunity for career advancement and
- provides an advanced credential consistent with what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do
- certifies that you have the status of one who has met professional teaching standards
- certifies that you have prepared a professional portfolio demonstrating your teaching abilities
- certifies that you have fulfilled the rigorous assessment center exercises
- entitles you to receive the Illinois Master Certificate, endorsement on your Professional Educator License
For more information on NBPTS click here
What are the Benefits of NTL?
- Illinois Master Certification
- 12 CPS Lane Placement credits
- professional learning community
- 39 hours of university graduate credit
- 1st consideration for Consulting Teacher roles
- annual pensionable cash award - $1,875+
- optional Masters Degree
- writing institute
- public recognition
- paid coaching incentives
- teacher leadership roles
- state recertification requirement met
What are the Requirements for NTL Enrollment?
- 3 years of successful teaching at NBPTS certificate level
- 3 years commitment to teaching in CPS beginning 2015/16 school year
- 51 percent of your time teaching in the area in which you are seeking certification
- successful completion of the NTL application profile
- appointed teacher status
National Board Five Core Propositions
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Teachers are members of learning communitites.
Why We Are Special
The Chicago Teachers Union's Nurturing Teacher Leadership (NTL) program offers a small supportive group setting in which National Board Certification (NBC) candidates work collaboratively and are mentored by National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs). We read, study, and discuss literature and research on current issues and topics in education, applying our new or refined insights to our teaching practice. We provide multiple resources, support and incentives. Our focus is on developing, improving, and validating teaching, thereby increasing student achievement. During weekly meetings, successful teaching practices are recognized and shared.
NTL facilitates all aspects of this intensive new 2 year NBC process. We assist teachers with descriptive, analytical, interpretative, and reflective writing required for the National Board portfolio. We provide technical assistance with required documentation of your work, facilitation with analyzing student work, professional development on differentiation of instruction, individual coaching and mentoring, and preparation for the Content Knowledge Assessment Center exercises.
NTL supports all CPS teachers throughout the entire certification process, providing technical, professional, intellectual, and moral support. After achieving National Board Certification, opportunities are available for NBCTs to continue their learning and to lead and support others -- at a professional wage. The CTU Quest Center is teachers working for teachers to improve the learning of Chicago's children.
Any questions about Nurturing Teacher Leadership or National Board Certification can be directed to Lynn Cherkasky-Davis at 312-329-6274 or e-mail LynnCherkasky-Davis@ctulocal1.com.